Saturday, December 11, 2010

Why We Need Pi by Wesley Fryer

Check out this video by Wesley Fryer (someone I follow on twitter). He shows how he used google earth in his math class to teach circumference. As is often the case when someone shares, I think I have a better way to do this for my class.



I plan on having my kids find sports stadia/arenas on google earth and then describing how big they are. I will tell them they have to describe their size in three diferent ways. I may teach them how to use the ruler tool on google earth.



I may follow through with further study of how the building was constructed or to compare it to other sports arenas. I would use higher order thinking questions such as "which building ws the hardest to build?" or "which building has the most impact on it's community?"



It's going to be a blast!








No comments:

Post a Comment