Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Gelosia Method of Multiplication: mindmaster.org

I stumbled on what I thought was site that had great potential, mathmaster.org. I embedded the video below from mathmaster. Have a look at it.





Usable for your class? OK, here is my take. (my comments are based on this one video) Real gains in understanding math at a higher level or the conceptual level are what we should be teaching kids. Once they are able to multiply from 1 X 1 to 9 X 9 we should encourage them to use a calculator and to process higher level thinking and imaginative real life challenges. This video seems cool at first. Really, it is just more of the same routine computational mathematics which has been emphasized for far too long in our classrooms.


The beauty of blogging, everyone has an opinion. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment